Anne Heche’s estate sued for millions by woman displaced from her home by fiery crash
She may be in her 90s, but Anne Heche is still fighting for her life.
Less than a year after she lost her Los Angeles home and her sense of security to a devastating California fire, she has filed a multimillion-dollar wrongful-death suit against the insurance company that paid out for her injuries.
In the suit, filed last month in Los Angeles County Superior Court, Heche claims her life was in danger as she fled the inferno on June 8, 2017, which devoured her second home in Baldwin Hills. The house had been her refuge for more than 20 years, but her longtime tenants were forced to evacuate.
The fire killed Heche and her daughter, Jennifer, while it destroyed dozens of cars, a van, a motorcycle and an RV, according to the suit. There were injuries on all sides of the fire, she claims, and she lost her daughter.
The suit comes at a time when California is seeing an epidemic of property loss and damage, with lawsuits against insurance companies climbing to nearly $8 billion a year. The state has led the nation in lawsuits filed against insurers, and it is the largest market in the nation.
“I just can’t lose another home,” Heche said in a phone interview from her San Diego home. “I was in danger every minute.”
The suit has been filed in a bid to recoup money from the company that paid out for her injuries. Her attorney, Scott Heffron, confirmed the claim but declined to comment further.
Heche, a former California Supreme Court justice who worked on the court for six decades, is now facing the final chapter of her life.
“My life is over,” Heche said in the interview. “It’s time for me to let go.